We provide varied opportunities that connect volunteers with Wilderness in deep, more meaningful ways. Whether you volunteer on a trail project, attend one of our events, take part in an educational hike, or become a Trail Ambassador, our goal is to strengthen your connection to and advocacy for this amazing place!
As a Wilderness Stewardship organization, the ABWF is dedicated to “Boots-on-the-Ground” work on behalf of the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. Our projects fall into one of a handful of categories:
- Trail Building and Maintenance of wilderness trails.
Day-Long: Limited on time? Help out for a day. Get outside and help to improve trails, eliminate weeds, and have fun while doing it!
Multi-Day: Enjoy good views, good company, while making a difference. Most trips food is provided and horses help haul the gear.
- Trail Ambassadors — providing information & educating Wilderness users in Leave No Trace and best practices at popular trailheads.
- Citizen Science efforts in which volunteers help scientists collect data that contribute to our better understanding the A-B Wilderness.
- Wilderness Internships — Work primarily as part of a Forest Service Trail crew, and help with ABWF projects from June through August.
- Educational Outreach — programs, both indoors and outdoors, that build awareness, appreciation, and care for our precious Wilderness resources.
- Artists-in-Residence — creative stays at Forest Service cabins that provide Wilderness inspiration for a few chosen artists each summer.
- Replacing faded Wilderness Signs around the Custer Gallatin National Forest.
We look forward to having you join us! If you have any questions, ask us!